SOURSOP AND ITS HEALTH BENEFITS
Soursop also known as graviola or guanabana is popular in South America, Africa and Southeast Asia . The tree ANNONA MURICATA produces the fruit , soursop , a large , spiny , green tropical fruit with a sweet flesh. The tree is an evergreen broad leaved tree whose every part is useful and has medicinal properties. The fruit has huge health benefits but I would like to focus on its leaves as it seems to be the most beneficial part of the tree.
Soursop leaves contain a number of natural substances that have biological activity, according to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre. These substances are Acetogenins and are fatty compounds . In this group of compounds are Annonacin a very powerful substance with the potential to prevent or slow the growth of cancer. Other acetogenins are bulatacin, asimisin, and squamosin.
A study published in The Journal of Medicinal Chemistry showed that compounds in soursop were found to be up to 250 times more effective in killing breast cancer cells in culture than chemotherapy . The centre believe that some of its substances or compounds are naturally antiviral and antiparasitic. It also contains quinolone annopentocins, coreximine and reticuline
Other health benefits of soursop leaves includes:
1) Treatment of uric acid in gout. You can boil 10 old and green leaves in 2-3 cups of water and simmer till only one cup remains. Take twice a day
2) Treatment of back pain
3) a Treatment of eczema and rheumatism. You can mash the leaves till smooth and apply to affected areas twice a day
4) The nutrients in the leaves help stabilise blood sugar levels
5) They are powerful immune boosters
6) Can be used to treat boils. Mash the young soursop leaves and apply on affected area.
7) They can be used to get rid of head lice
8) Also found to be useful in treating hypertension. It’s being used for this in Australia
For your supply of soursop leaves contact us at óla herbs and greens resources limited
33 Oritshe street
Off Obafemi Awolowo way
Call us on 08119488927